Botox for Lip Flip
Lip augmentation has always been associated with lip fillers to add volume to lips. However, not everyone who wants fuller lips necessarily wants or needs fillers to achieve their desired outcome. For those who prefer subtler results, a lip flip using Botox® Cosmetic is a viable option.
What is a lip flip?
A lip flip is a non-surgical technique for creating a fuller lip. It involves the precise placement of neuromodulators like Botox or Dysport® along the upper lip to target the orbicularis oris muscle, which controls the movement of the lips and mouth. The muscle relaxes and “flips” the lip as a result, making it roll slightly upward to make the upper lip more prominent. It creates a fuller, plumper upper lip without increasing the size of the lip itself.
What does a lip flip procedure look like at Spring Street Dermatology?
At Spring Street Dermatology, our patients’ comfort is our top priority. Although a lip flip is a minimally invasive procedure that does not necessarily require numbing, topical anesthetic (numbing cream or nerve block injection) is available to ensure a more comfortable experience.
During a lip flip, one of our board-certified dermatologists uses a thin needle to inject Botox in the corners of your mouth and the edges of your lips. On average, about four to six Botox units are injected into the upper lip at the center (cupid’s bow) and near the corners of the mouth. Your provider will help determine the optimal amount of Botox units needed for your lip enhancement goals.
The entire lip flip procedure is quick and straightforward, only taking approximately 10-20 minutes to perform.
Who needs a lip flip?
Patients may wish to undergo a lip flip for a number of reasons, including:
- You want to achieve fuller lips that look natural. Lips thin with age, and a lip flip helps achieve fuller lips.
- You do not want lip fillers for lip enhancement. Dermal fillers add volume to the lips and may result in an “overdone” appearance if you don’t need the added fullness. Fillers are more expensive too.
- You want to reduce lines and wrinkles. As a neuromodulator, Botox relaxes muscles and reduces the appearance of wrinkles caused by dynamic facial expressions. Getting a lip flip not only enhances the appearance of the upper lip but also smooths out wrinkles around it.
- You want to improve a gummy smile. Following a lip flip, less gum shows when smiling because the upper lip’s muscles are relaxed and not elevated.
- You don’t want any downtime. Botox injections require zero downtime. You can immediately return to your normal activities after your procedure.
- You want short-term results. Lip flip results can last about 3-4 months. It is a great option if you are experimenting with lip augmentation.
- You want to boost your self-confidence. A lip flip makes you feel good about your appearance, helping to improve your confidence and self-esteem.
Pros of having a lip flip
- Provides subtle definition and fullness to the upper lip
- Improves the contours of the upper lip
- Smooths vertical lip lines above the upper lip
- Corrects a gummy smile
- Prevents the upper lip from disappearing when you smile
- More affordable than lip fillers
- Minimal to no downtime
- Provides a temporary treatment option for lip enhancement
Cons of having a lip flip
- Does not increase volume in the lips
- Subtler results compared to lip filler injections
- Does not address the lower lip
- Takes a week to see results
- Temporary results (wears off in 3-4 months)
- Carries possible risks and complications (you may have trouble whistling, spitting, or pronouncing certain words)
What results can I expect after a lip flip?
Full results from a Botox lip flip take about a week to become visible, though most patients see its effects within a few days after their treatment. In addition to a more defined upper lip contour, you may notice your upper lip not disappearing as much when smiling because the relaxed muscle prevents the lip from rising. If you have a gummy smile, you may notice less exposure of the gum after a lip flip.
Results are temporary and last about 3-4 months. The effect of Botox in the lip area wears off quicker than in other areas because only a small amount of Botox is injected, and lip muscles are more active than in other areas of the face.
Lip flip vs. lip fillers: What’s the difference?
A lip flip and lip filler injection treatment are both minimally invasive procedures that make your lips look fuller, but the difference lies in the technique and results achieved.
Lip fillers, which are typically made of hyaluronic acid, are designed to create volume in a lip to enhance its shape and definition. Your lips will immediately look fuller after the procedure.
Botox does not “fill” the lip; instead, it targets the muscles that need relaxing. During a lip flip procedure, your provider injects Botox into precise areas of the upper lip to target muscles. You will notice a poutier upper lip without adding any volume to it. Because of the subtler results, a lip flip can produce a more natural look than lip fillers. A lip flip may also be performed to enhance the results of lip filler injections.
The duration of the results also varies between a lip flip and filler injections. It takes up to a week for lip flip results to become visible, while lip fillers produce immediate results. Botox effects last about 3-4 months, but lip fillers can last anywhere between 6-18 months.
What are the risks or side effects of a lip flip?
As with any cosmetic procedure, there are a few risks. Botox injections can lead to temporary bruising, swelling, headaches, and flu-like symptoms. In more severe cases, Botox may cause temporary drooping. These risks are rare in the hands of licensed and experienced practitioners.
What is the recovery time?
Following a lip flip, you may resume most of your normal activities, though your upper lip may be slightly sensitive, swollen, bruised, numb, or have a small bump at the injection site. These should resolve within 24 hours.
Patients should avoid exercising for the rest of the day after a lip flip. To prevent Botox from migrating and to ensure the best possible outcome, the following aftercare tips are recommended:
- Apply an ice pack or cold compress on the upper lip for up to 10 minutes to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Avoid wearing lip products for at least three to four days.
- Avoid applying pressure on your lips, including sipping from a straw and kissing.
- Be gentle when brushing your teeth
- Avoid sleeping face down.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, which thins the blood and makes bruising worse.
Consider Botox for lip flip at our New York City office
To achieve the best results, a Botox lip flip should only be performed by providers with training and experience in injectables and treating the lip area. At Spring Street Dermatology, all our cosmetic and medical procedures are performed by board-certified dermatologists who are extensively trained in administering injectables and offer a personalized approach to helping patients achieve beautiful and natural-looking results.
Contact Spring Street Dermatology in New York City today for same-day appointments or to schedule a consultation with our highly trained professionals.